Saturday, March 28, 2009

Flattening PDF layers

When you flatten PDF layers, you remove any layers that aren’t visible and consolidate the rest into one layer. You might use this technique if you want to freeze a drawing or project at a certain stage of development in order to archive a non-editable version. To do so, follow these steps:
  1. Choose File➪Save As to open the Save As dialog box.
  2. Locate a folder destination in the Save In drop-down list and enter a new name for your flattened PDF document in the File Name text box. It is very important that you change the name of this file because flattening the layers in a PDF document cannot be undone.
  3. When you’ve saved the PDF file under a new name, click the Layers tab on the Navigation pane and choose Flatten Layers on the Options menu at the top of the Layers palette. A Warning dialog box appears, stating This operation cannot be undone. Would you like to proceed?
  4. Click Yes to close the Warning dialog box and flatten the document layers. The proof of your flattening action is exhibited in the Layers palette, which is now completely empty.

4 comments:

P. said...

I have a colored CMYK file with only one layer but different colors - I print "separations" and each color is printed in a different page. But how can these colors be printed separately if they're in the same layer?
This image will be inserted in an Indesign CS4 document, that will be printed in one color (Black only), but even when this PDF is just paste in Indesign, the printer reads the colors as different layers. I don't understand!
Anyway I'd liked this post. It was helpful, I didn't think of opening the layers panel in Acrobat to flatten layers. Unfortunately I didn't find any layer. :(
Congratulations and thanks for web helping.

(Sorry for my bad English, I'm Brazilian)

salahhe said...

You have no idea what "separations" mean, right? Just print it without checking the separations box and you will be fine.
And thanks for the laugh.

digital signature certificate said...

I am trying to flatten my PDF layer but not able to do it. The thing is I am also not getting any error. Following the same steps told by you. Can you please help me ? I would be grateful to you.

Anonymous said...

Does flattening a PDF keep the layers in order? The same as merging layers in photoshop